The Ultimate Portable Audio System for Video Production
The DR-701D is TASCAM's flagship recorder for single-shooter video production. A timecode generator is included for location reference, which can be jam synced from a SMPTE generator, camera, or smart slate. The HDMI in and out allows a DSLR camera to start recording on both devices, and video clock prevents drift between sound and picture.
Four mic inputs can be individually recorded and mixed to a stereo track, for a total of six-track recording. For additional tracks, multiple units can be cascaded together. The lightweight yet rigid chassis is forged from a magnesium alloy. Tripod mounts on the top and bottom of the unit allow the unit to mount under a camera, attach to a follow-focus cage, or used stand-alone.
Designed for the needs of professional filmmakers, television producers, advertisers, and documentarians, the DR-701D packs high quality multitrack recording into a package compact enough for use with any camera.
- 6-track recording (4 tracks + L-R stereo mix)
- Using the built-in mixer, 4 tracks and their stereo mix (6 tracks total) can be simultaneously recorded. In addition to pan and level adjustments, the mixer includes a delay function to compensate for distances between mics. A mid-side decoding function is also built-in for use with MS stereo mics.
|Various synchronization functions using HDMI connections||To TOP|
- Perfect camera sync using HDMI video clock synchronization
- An HDMI input and output allows the DR-701D's internal clock and the camera to be digitally synchronized. Even when shooting long events, the video files recorded by the camera and audio files recorded by the DR-701D will not drift out of sync.
- One button press on the camera starts sound recording on the DR-701D
- Simply pressing the camera recording start button sends a trigger to the DR-701D to start audio recording. Unlike other systems that force you to press record on both devices, the HDMI start system prevents missed takes, syncs the two recording starts together, and makes single-operator shoots much easier.
* Feature is dependant on camera firmware, compatibility chart coming soon
- Cascade feature for additional track recording
- By connecting multiple units using HDMI, slave DR-701D units can be made to follow a master unit to start and stop recording simultaneously. Since audio can also be output through the HDMI connection, monitoring selections can be made using slave units without reconnecting headphones.
- SMPTE timecode stores time data in recorded audio files
- The built-in SMPTE generator allows the camera and DR-701D to store the same location reference. Several options are available to integrate SMPTE LTC into your camera system. The BNC timecode input can follow a source signal, or can be "jamsynced" a few times per day for independant freewheel operation. Cameras that send timecode through their HDMI output can be followed by the DR-701D's timecode input. And the internal generator can be started without an external reference for a simple time-of-day stamp on recorded BWAV files.
- The magnesium-alloy chassis is lightweight yet rugged enough for daily on-set use
- The DR-701D's chassis is forged using a magnesium alloy, chosen for its lightweight but solid structure. Desipte its compact size, a high number of inputs and outputs are included. Screw threads for mounting a tripod are included on the bottom of the unit, while a removable camera attachment screw and hot shoe are included on the top of the unit. The DR-701D includes a number of mounting options – either below the camera for best cable management, above the camera, or mounted to a follow-focus cage.
- High-quality HDDA (High Definition Discrete Architecture) mic preamps
- The microphone preamps have a significant impact on the quality of the recorded audio. The DR-701D features TASCAM HDDA mic preamps. The differential mic preamp circuits use discrete architecture, built with carefully selected components. For example, Texas Instruments OPA1652 op amps were selected for their high quality and low noise – with even better audio performance than the previous DR-70D model. As a result, the unit boasts an equivalent input noise of -124 dBu or better.
The A/D converters, which convert analog signals to digital, are made by Asahi Kasei Corporation and are equivalent to those used in the top models in the TASCAM DR series of linear PCM recorders. High audio quality HDDA circuits faithfully convert the amplified audio to digital. Resolutions up to 96kHz/24-bit are supported when recording 6 tracks and 192kHz/24-bit when recording 2 tracks.
- Multiple mic inputs support various recording options
- The four XLR/TRS inputs can be adjusted and recorded independently, allowing various on-set recording options. Talent can be recorded using shotgun mics, lavaliers, or both simultaneously. Ambience can be recorded using a stereo mic (or the built-in microphones.) The 3.5mm stereo input can be selected for channels (1-2) and the built-in omni mics for channels (3-4) for an even wider range of mic setups.
- Multiband limiter and 5-stage low-cut filter built-in
- The limiter function automatically adjusts excessive input levels, and can operate independently on each of the four inputs. A more natural sound quality is achieved because a multiband limiter is employed, affecting only the frequency ranges that have excessive input. In addition, a low-cut filter can be adjusted to five different frequencies to cut wind noise, rumble and other undesirable low frequencies without damaging the source audio.
- Record the built-in stereo mic together with external mics
- Two omni condenser mics are built into the DR-701D for natural stereo sound images. Used in combination with small handheld or shotgun mics, speakers can be interviewed while capturing the surrounding environment in a compact setup.
- A temperature-compensated crystal oscillator (TCXO) provides a solid internal clock
- A high precision TCXO is employed for the internal clock generator. Like other TASCAM professional studio equipment, the TCXO reduces clock errors (jitter) to improve the quality of the digital recording. Additionally, a PLL (phase-locked loop) circuit with a discrete filter further reduces jitter for the best possible audio quality.
|Designed for use with video and DSLR cameras||To TOP|
- OUT (CAMERA OUT) connector synchronizes recording between the DR-701D and a camera
- A dedicated connector is included to output mixed audio to a DSLR or video camera. This way, the same audio can be recorded by both the DR-701D and the camera. The output level is adjustable to avoid overloading the mic-level input on many cameras.
In cases where the video or DSLR camera does not include SMPTE sync, the audio on the camera can be synchronized with the DR-701D's audio files in a video editing program. Many editors such as Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere support automatic sync between video and audio recordings using the "multi-camera" or "multi-clip" feature.
- IN (CAMERA IN) connector allows camera playback without re-wiring
- In addition to the OUT (CAMERA OUT), a IN (CAMERA IN) connector is provided to monitor the audio from the camera during playback. By using this with the DR-701D monitor selection function, you can easily monitor not only the DR-701D but also audio from the camera.
- Slate tone generator for adjusting perfect sync
- A slate tone generator is built-in to guide alignment in post production. By zooming into the waveform of both the camera and DR-701D audio, the sine wave can be perfectly aligned for exact synchronization.
- Stereo mini jack mic input (EXT IN 1/2) enables connection of mics for video cameras
- A 3.5mm stereo input connector accepts many video camera mics. One can connect a video camera mic to the 1-2 input jack for recording ambience, then patch XLR shotgun mics into inputs 3-4. Plug-in power can be supplied to the 3.5mm input for mics that require power.
- Usability features prevent misoperation and improve ergonomics
- Many design features have been added to prevent damage, avoid blown takes, and improve usability. The HOLD switch makes it possible to disable unintended button presses during recording, and even includes the four gain adjustment knobs. The handles on the left and right sides protect the control surface and support attachment of a shoulder strap. In addition, the gain adjustment knobs are designed so they are not moved with a slight touch, making unintended moves less likely. Other details implemented for ease-of-use include an LCD screen and LEDs that promote high visibility even under direct sunlight.
- Usable as a standalone field recorder
- The DR-701D can be used as a 6-track field recorder with 4 input channels. Attach a strap to the red handles for comfortable use in the field. Whether hung around the neck or shoulder, the unit can be easily operated and adjusted.
- Optional external power using a USB mobile battery
- In addition to the four internally-housed AA batteries, even longer operation is possible when used with a mobile battery with a Micro-B USB port. The TASCAM BP-6AA battery pack is also compatible.
- Dual-recording function allows two files to be recorded simultaneously at different levels.
- Dual recording captures a safety track, at a level 6 to 12 dB lower than the main track. In case of sudden volume changes on-set or while shooting a documentary, the safety track makes sure that you have an un-distorted take.
|Features at a glance||To TOP|
- SD/SDHC/SDXC cards used for recording media.
- 6 maximum simultaneous recording tracks
- MONO, STEREO, 2MIX, DUAL MONO, DUAL ST and DUAL2MIX recording modes
- Recording formats: 16/24-bit, 44.1/48/96/192kHz (WAV/BWF) (192kHz only for two-track recording)
- Built-in original TASCAM HDDA mic preamps provide high audio quality
- Input levels can be adjusted separately for each track
- XLR/TRS inputs support +4dBu line level and 24/48V phantom power
- Clock and record start/stop can be synchronized with a camera using the HDMI port
- DR-701D audio signal can be output to an external camera or recorder from the HDMI OUT or line output
- Cascade function using HDMI connections allows multiple DR-701D transport and monitoring operations
- SMPTE Timecode can be input through the TC IN connector to add recording start times to files
- Timecode generator (RTC) allows recording start times to be added to files even when there is no timecode input
- Plug-in power mics and high output mics (EXT IN 1/2) supported
- OUT (CAMERA OUT) connector can output audio mixed by the DR-701D to a DSLR camera
- IN (CAMERA IN) connector enables monitoring the sound from a DSLR camera through the DR-701D
- High quality audio output through a line output jack separate from the headphones jack
- Headphones jack with 50mW+50mW maximum output
- Tripod attachment threads (bottom), camera screw attachment that can be installed or removed with a coin (top) and shoe mount (top) included
- Handles on the left and right sides of the front protect the control surface and also enable attachment of a shoulder strap
- Transport and SLATE buttons made of rubber suppress noise during operation
- HOLD switch prevents misoperation
- 128×64-dot graphic LCD with backlight
- LED lights have high visibility even in direct sunlight
- High-speed transfer of files to computers possible using USB 2.0
- Micro-B type USB cable included
- Powered by 4 AA batteries, USB bus power or a PS-P515U AC adapter (sold separately)
- BP-6AA external battery pack (sold separately) enables operation for even longer times
- Optional RC-3F foot switch and RC-10 wireless remote control can be connected (both sold separately)
- Built-in mixer enables pan and level adjustments as well as solo monitoring and can output a mix of 4 channels
- GANG function allows the levels of multiple channels to be controlled simultaneously
- Individual channel trim settings shown
- 5-position low-cut filter (50/80/120/180/220 Hz) cuts unwanted low frequencies
- Multiband limiter automatically adjusts input overloads (stereo-linking possible with 1/L and 2/R)
- Delay function can compensate for distances between mics (+/-150 ms)
- Mid-side decoder function enables use with mid-side stereo mics
- Slate tone insertion functions (AUTO/MANUAL)
- Slate tone insertion points can be selected (recording start or recording start and stop when slate AUTO function used)